Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motion sensor that turns light off?

Posted by downtowner (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:07

We have a small garden in a bathroom I meticulously designed.

My wife believes (I'm not so sure) that her precious plants require a fluorescent bulb to be on 24/7 to be healthy. (This has already killed one plant that could not tolerate constant light. But she's not deterred.)

I'm fed up with a light for our leafy friends ruining the esthetics for actual humans, like me.

I would like to install a motion detector that will turn the lights off when it senses a person in the room. That way we will both be happy.

Can anyone figure out how to do this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bath with garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motion sensor that turns light off?

Why not split the difference with her and get one of those timers that you can set various on/off times by inserting pins around the face of the timer? That way you can have the light on most of the day but off during the times you would be in the room. Then YOU limit your times in the room to when the lights are off.

In the mean time keep looking for the motion detector.... lol

o

If you can't find an off the shelf sensor that does that you can always reverse the function with a relay.

o

This might be better handled by negotiation-- or capitulation on your part. Choose your battles wisely. Be advised that the IRS did not originate the concept of withholding.

o

BTW, what type of plant are we talking about?.......

o

Let Google be your friend.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Solution

o

You could wire up a 3-way switch so that 'down' sends power to the fluorescent fixture and 'up' sends power to the regular light.

o

You and your plants are really facing a great problem, try to convince your wife by telling the exact fact of the fluorescent bulb, well if you want a motion detector that is of response type. Different driveway motion detectors also find different responses like some set of alert inside the house, there are so many type of motion detectors are used for different purposes, you may try one that is suitable for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrical contracts

o

Toolbelt: Great idea, but my hours are very irregular. I work at home.

ionized: I don't understand relays. I'm sure you're right though.

bus driver: My wife is a very intelligent attorney. But she generally lets me do what I want as long as I describe it as a capitulation. So I will say that she has won, and I've made my piece with her leafy friends at last. :)

Toolbelt: I'm sure you're right that different plants have different names, but I don't know them. I'll try to attach a photo to this.

Saltidawg: That does look promising. Believe me I Googled a lot. What search term did you use?

Greg: Great idea, but I have a bathroom that I use for meetings sometimes. I has many different light fixtures and switches. And sometimes I like to soak in the spa tub with nothing but my Ipad and the color lights of the tub.

Wm: I think there is also an incandescent bulb she is using, but it's burnt out and I'd rather not that she notice this right away.

Thanks to all.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2126696/IMG_1457.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Name these plants, if you like

o

Well, at least those aren't the type of plants that I used to grow in my bathroom in college.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here