Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rono7

Help-Wiring 3 way dimmer switch

rono7
15 years ago

Trying to add a 3 way dimmer switch in the basement. Tapping off the switch at the top of the basement stairs. There are 3 other wires coming into the box in addition to the 14-3 wire I am installing. One goes to the lights in the basement, another goes to the garage receptacles. these two have black wires inserted into the push holes in the back of the switch. I took the black hot wire from the 2 way switch and hooked it to the black screw on the 3 way switch. Then I took the red and black wires and hooked them to the other 2 terminals. Lastly, I put the white wire from the 14-3 with the other whites bundled together. I On the new dimmer switch, I tried every configuration possible to get this to work, without success. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is insane.

Comments (5)

• normel
    15 years ago

Are the light you are trying to control now controlled by a single pole switch? Are you replacing that single pole with a 3 way and adding a 3way at another location?

If yes to both, then connect the incoming hot to the common (black) screw of the new 3way at the existing box, connect the black of the 14/3 to the black going to the light, and connect the red and white of the 14/3 to the other two screws of the 3way switch. Leave the whites already there alone.

At the new location, connect the black to the common (black) screw and the red and white to the other two screws.

• rono7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I am replacing a single pole switch with a 3 way and adding a 3 way. When you say connect the black of the 14/3 to the black to the light, do you mean wire nut them together? I believe I have tried this configuration already resulting with the dimmer switch having power but I can't get it to turn on/off and dim.

• shadetree_bob
    15 years ago

I don't know how much experience you have wiring things so this may be way out of line, but I found an article about how to wire 3-way dimmers. It may help if you read it and you may get some new ideas about what is going on. The link below will take you to it.

http://www.rd.com/17791/article17791.html

• normel
    15 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I am replacing a single pole switch with a 3 way and adding a 3 way. When you say connect the black of the 14/3 to the black to the light, do you mean wire nut them together? I believe I have tried this configuration already resulting with the dimmer switch having power but I can't get it to turn on/off and dim.

yes wirenut them together and connect all others as described. It might help if you do this first with two standard 3way switches, then when all works, replace one with the dimmer... this will eliminate any problems with the dimmer itself.

• joed
    15 years ago

Leave all the wires in the box alone. You only need to work with the two wires currently connected to the switch.
    Connect one of the wires to the black of your new cable. Connect the other to the common of the new three way.
    Connect the red and white of the new cable to the traveler connections at both new switch and dimmer.
    Connect the black at the new dimmer to the common of the dimmer.
    Connect all grounds together.