Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new smoke detector - connecting solid to stranded questions

Posted by will91t (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 12:59

Greetings:

I want to replace my 15 year old smoke detectors. Inside each electrical box, there were four 14 gauge white and black wires - each bundle wire nutted together. Three of each color originated from romex style cable and the fourth was was used as a pigtail to wire to the back of the smoke detector (inserted to the back of the unit). A third red wire was wired directly to the back of the detector.

The new Kiddle detectors came with a flexible wiring harness using 16 or 18 gauge (can't quite read it) stranded wire (white, black and red) with pre-tinned ends.

My question is how to connect the stranded wire to the solid gauge wire. Should I leave the white and black pigtails as is and wire nut the white and black stranded wires to the pigtails or should I eliminate the pigtail and connect each stranded wire to the bundle of three 14 gauge solid wires? My limited experience with wire nutting stranded to a bundle of solids is that the wire nut never really tightens up without shredding the stranded wire. Also, obviously the bundle of solid wires are already twisted, so should I straighten them out (or cut off the twisted sections) before laying the stranded wire alongside and putting on the wire nut?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new smoke detector - connecting solid to stranded questions

Either leave the pigtail and wire nut to that, or remove the pigtail and wire nut to the splice. Doesn't matter.

DO NOT untwist or cut off the splice. Absolutely no reason to.

o
RE: new smoke detector - connecting solid to stranded questions

Add another pigtail.

Getting a number of solid and stranded wires (especially small stranded) into a single wire nut is a PITA, even when you do it many times.

It is far easier to add another pigtail into the wire nut using solid wire, and then join that single solid wire with the smaller stranded wires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here