Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hang old chandelier need help which is hot

Posted by forboystoo (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 12:58

Hi, I'm hanging an old chandelier one wire seems to be copper looking the other seems to be copper silver twisted...Which is hot ? Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hang old chandelier need help which is hot

The way I've seen things wired in the past (and currently) the only way to tell for sure is with a voltage/multi meter.
Radio Shack has inexpensive ones.
There are even one with what we in the industry call a "tick tracer" built in, all you have to do it old it near a conductor and it will tell you if it has voltage on it or not

o

The wires I'm speaking of are the ones from the chandelier ............My house is brand new so I know hot from cold in the box ....It's coming out of the chandelier that I worry about ....Maybe I should rewire...Not looking forward to...

o

My experience with older chandeliers, is the striped looking wire is the neutral and the solid looking wire is the hot. Another way to determine is to see how the sockets are wired. The hot should be at the bottom of the scoket. Also, if the chandelier does not have a ground wire, affix a ground screw to the canopy to tie a ground wire to attach to the ground wire in the ceiling box.

o

"...copper looking..."

This is the hot (black).

"...the other seems to be copper silver twisted..."

This is the neutral (white).

o

The "copper silver twisted" may have small ridges on the insulation exterior. Those ridges denote the neutral if the insulation on other conductor is entirely smooth.

o

If you have a continuity tester or an ohm meter:

With the fixture disconnected, put one lead on the center terminal in one of the light sockets and check each of the two wires to see which one shows continuity. That is the "hot" wire that should be attached to the black wire in the box.

o

Why don't we see how many ways there are to say the same thing!

o

Well, the advantage to the tester method is that it gives you a definitive answer without disassembling the fixture.

Lots of rewired fixtures that didn't bother to pay attention to which wire went where.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here