Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can We Guess What's Wrong Here?

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 12:51

Seriously, is this really that hard to do right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can We Guess What's Wrong Here?

What am I looking at? That black wire that looks green?

o

No, the green wire that's going to the first breaker on the left. I guess I should have adjusted the color a little, darn cell phone cameras. ;-)

o
Can We Guess What's Wrong Here?

I straightened and adjusted the color a bit.

o
Pic Disappeared

Not quite sure how that happened.

o

I'm sorry. I was being facetious.

It is obviously a green wire.

o

I'm blue-green color blind, so I wasn't sure if it was green or my computer shifting the colors around.

o

I KNOW, let's ask the AHJ !!!!
or maybe one of those really
smart home inspectors.

o

So why is the neutral in the upper half of the right side
taped black ?

o

The neutral is re-identified with white tape in a couple of places, although it doesn't appear in the picture. This box was installed 7-8 years ago and off hand I don't know what the requirements were back then.

I didn't mention it, but this is a sub panel. There's no a discrete ground wire and the two hots and neutral pass through a 4" length of EMT. Now that I'm looking doesn't that appear to be a green screw in the upper part of the right neutral bar (first picture)? Me thinks the bar might be tied to the enclosure.

o

I think that what appears to be tape is really THHN insulation. The ungrounded main feeders look the same. But the installer is obviously quite lacking in knowing the NEC.

o

It might be the reflection of the flash that makes the insulation of the wires look like something tape or something. The wires are not taped (except for the neutral, with white at points outside of the photo).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here