Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing large breakers, how to do it???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 12:22

the 50amp breaker pair for my AC compressor keeps popping open. It has never done this before last week. I'd like to try the potentially cheap fix of replacing the breaker before calling an AC technician. How difficult (and safe) an operation is this? I've done all sorts of electrical work but never on a breaker box. If I throw the main breaker first, do I avoid the worst danger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing large breakers, how to do it???

It's straight forward, but I would suggest it's most likely a waste of time and money to do so.

o

It's not very likely that the breaker is the issue, but it is possible. If you throw the main, then only the lugs where the feeder is connected will be hot (and not protected by a over-current device). To me, the most risk while working in the box is loose ends of wires flopping around and coming in contact with the lugs. Replacing a circuit breaker is a pretty simple operation, and reasonably safe as long as you pay attention to what you're touching.

o

replacing the double breaker was easier than I dared hope and the AC seems to be staying on this time. I do notice that this new breaker has warmed up to 86 F over 90 min, using my laser thermometer to measure the heat. Normal or is something not so good going on? All the other breakers are smaller but only a GFI breaker is as warm as 85 F.

o

Should have spent the $$ toward an amp probe instead. Then you would know how much current the ac is drawing. That is what you should be more concerned with. Fixing the problem, not the symptoms.

o

breakers are thermal-magnetic.

They use a thermal section to provide a slow trip for short overloads, and a magnetic trip to quickly clear large faults.

Yes they get warm.

The IR thermometers are notoriously inaccurate unless adjusted for the emissivity of the surface being measured.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here