Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing ceiling fixture

Posted by sue_ct (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 12:17

I purchased a basic ceiling fixture at Home Depot. I have done this simple type of switch out before with no problems, wiring black to black and white to white, ground to ground or ground to ground screw. My problem is that this fixture has 2 black wires and 2 white wires. The directions that come with it only describe and show a single white and a single black coming from the fixture. Customer Service is not open on the weekend from the number provided for help in directions PLUS it states that only non electrical quesitons will be answered.

Anyone know if this is a simple thing? Can you put the 2 black from the fixture to a single black from the ceiling and the same for the white wires? If this is more involved and requires an electrician to install I would rather just return it and get one I can install myself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing ceiling fixture

For the record, found the answer elsewhere. The fixture has two lights with a black and white wires coming from each. Twisted the two black wires together and the two white wires together, then attached them to the wires from the ceiling, black to black and white to white as usual, with a wire cover. It is working fine, so unless someone believes this is wrong, and lets me know, the problem is resolved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here