Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jello_2007

electric box with pocket door

jello_2007
16 years ago

I am in the process of installing a pocket door in my bathroom. Will it be possible to still install wall sconces

in the area where the pocket door will slide? In other words,

will there be space for elec. to run in the wall and still have a pocket door?

Thank you,

jello_2007

Comments (9)

• groundrod
    16 years ago

In a word, No.

• dozer
    16 years ago

In a word, maybe.

It would depend on how thick the wall is. What type of support is required of the sconces and for safetys sake is the pocket area accessible to secure the wiring?

• jello_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is a remodel, so all will be down to the studs when the time comes to tear out. Not sure about the support for the sconces, just presumed an electrical
    box and a box to hold light switches. Is there something in the thickness of the wall I need to be looking for?
    Thank you dozer and groundrod for responding. Two different answers and liking the maybe. gives me hope.

• dozer
    16 years ago

Now you throw a switch into the deal. That could be the deal breaker.

Depending on how thick the studs are and how the light are made, you may be able to use a pan box to mount the fixtures.

A switch is going to need a 1 1/2 inch deep box so that may preclude mounting a switch where the door pockets.

the link shows a pan box but you would still need bracing behind it to support a fixture. You would also have to have adequate room for the wires. The fixture would have to be able to be used as a wiring enclosure.

So, the big question is:

what size is the studding where the pocket is?

Here is a link that might be useful: pan box

• jello_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you,
    in a week, the room will be torn up and i can look then.
    My fingers are crossed,
    i'll check back later.
    again,
    thank you

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

and one of these to go with dozer's pan box?
    {{!gwi}}

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

If the wall is 2x4 thickness (about 4.5 inches face-to-face) you will have a very hard time.
    While a pan box may look alright, many AHJs are going to give you a very hard time over fill.
    While you are allowed to use the volume under the sconce shell, it needs to be stated in the instructions (or marked on the device) what the volume is.

If you can increase the wall thickness you can make things work.
    2x4s flat provide enough room with 1/2 inch drywall to get 4x4 1.25 boxes in on that side.

If you are using on e of the 'pre-framed' pocket door kits with 1x and steel nothing will fit except low voltage controls and a relay system.
    No 120 V receptacles unless you surface mount them (wiremold).

• groundrod
    16 years ago

First response no, second response maybe, a picture of this installation, priceless.

• dozer
    16 years ago

While a pan box may look alright, many AHJs are going to give you a very hard time over fill.
    While you are allowed to use the volume under the sconce shell, it needs to be stated in the instructions (or marked on the device) what the volume is.
    ==============

that is why I posted as I did with this:

You would also have to have adequate room for the wires. The fixture would have to be able to be used as a wiring enclosure.

Granted, I did not specify the need for "listing" as such. I do tend to take some things for granted. Maybe a bit too much sometimes. thnx.

So, very simple. We need to know how much space you have to place a box and if the fixtures are listed as use as a j-box, indicated by having a c.i. dimension stamped on them or in their instructions.

After that, we can offer much more specific advice.