Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrical wiring of an outlet

Posted by ToshNepenthe (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 11:36

I had a two plug outlet receptacle that I replaced. One was hot wired and the other was controlled by a switch. There were two white wires that connected to the one side of the receptacle, and a black and red to the other side. When I did the same, I have two hot wired receptacles.

How do I end up with one hot, and one controlled by the switch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrical wiring of an outlet

Between the two screws where the black and red wires are, there is a metal tab connecting the two terminals together. Remove that tab by cutting it with wire cutters and you will have the switched half back again. Do not cut the tab on the side where the white wire is, only the hot side needs separated for a switched outlet. The white (neutral) wire serves both halves of the outlet.

o

Some of the tabs have a slot for a small screwdriver blade to be inserted.
The screwdriver is then used to rotate the tab until it breaks free at both ends.

o

..others you bend back and forth until it breaks off.

o

OP says he has two white wires, could he have 2 circuits there where each one needs its own neutral?

If so, he has to also cut the tab on the white side and use both white wires.

o

Either that or they used the receptacle to feed the neutral through to the next one in the circuit. Best bet would be to inspect the receptacle he replaced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here