Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Lights and outlets not working after storm

lsst
13 years ago

We had a huge storm last night. The lights flickered but stayed on.

After the storm, we noticed the garage door would not open and had no power to it. The receptacles in the garage and the laundry room light will not work.

They are all on the same circuit and same breaker.

The breaker never tripped.

I turned the breaker off and back on and still no power.

Our house is 6 years old.

My favorite electrician has moved out of state.

Can someone lead me in the right direction as to what steps I need to take to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

All those receptacles are likely on a GFCI (and if you house is more than a few years old, probably all on the same GFCI). Look in those locations and any bathrooms or outside receptacles for an outlet with "TEST" and "RESET" buttons on it and press the RESET.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply!
    I reset all the GFCI in the house.I will double check in case I missed some. Still no power to the light and receptacles.

I do have a porch GFCI that will not reset.With the heavy sheets of rain, I assume it may have tripped due to moisture. It is on a different breaker but it is not far from the garage.

Would a ceiling fixture have been on a circuit with a GFCI
    receptacle? What is throwing me off is the light fixture not working.Both the light fixture and receptacles are marked in the box as being on the same breaker.

This morning I did purchase a new breaker for the non-working circuit and a new GFCI for the porch.
    I have not installed them yet.

• joed
    13 years ago

The porch GFCI is likely your problem. Or there is another GFCI in the garage that is hidden behind the pile of boxes that have been there since you moved in.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

With the exception of certain bath fixtures, no lighting is ever required to be on GFCI, but who knows how your house might be wired.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

joed,
    LOL! I think my husband is glad it happened as now we may have to clean up the garage for an electrician! All the boxes are my stuff and he is tired of tripping over them!
    When I get home I will look behind the boxes for a GFCI I may have missed.

ronnatalie,
    That is what I thought but when building the house, I did have some problems with the electrical that were caught early on so I wonder too, how it might be wired.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I finally found a GFCI behind the heaviest boxes!
    It was tripped and would not reset.
    I replaced it and I have power again.

Thanks!!!!!

• lbpod
    13 years ago

I loved it Joed, "YOU DA MAN", but now I have to go and change my shorts.

• Jose garcia
    2 years ago

What happened to your

• Jose garcia
    2 years ago

shorts

• HU-537095465
    last year

I live in a manufactured home, half the lights went out. first they had intermin 3-5 seconond flickers about every 10

minutes or so. then went out vompletely. it cost me dearly for someone to locate the lroblem and no one could.. we just had a wild wind storm of like 55 moh and the entire block went dark with no lights. this morning, something told me to try the lights and they wirked. i believe there is some sort if breaker under the place that they dont tell you about.