Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing battery in hard wired smoke detectors

Posted by caw12394555 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:06

My new smoke detectors have a battery back up, even though they are hard wired. Do I have to turn off the power to them to replace the battery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing battery in hard wired smoke detectors

No. Are you afraid of a shock? They're low voltage.

o

The batteries are low voltage - the smoke detector is 110.

When you take the smoke detector off the mounting, you will need to unplug the wires that go into the detector. For most designs, the wires have to be unplugged before you can access the battery. The plugs are designed to not expose any AC power.

I never turn off the power to mine when replacing the batteries.

o

Say what? I've never seen a smoke detector like kayakboy describes. Most these days have an separate battery compartment that doesn't involve removing the smoke detector. Even those that don't you don't have to disconnect anything to remove it from the base plate to change the battery, you can just leave it dangling by the supply wires. The 110V area covered up so there's no problem doing so live.

o

ronnatalie is correct. When I said they were low voltage, I was thinking of the ones I have that are wired into my security panel, but there are plenty that run off of 110V. However, there are no exposed wires in the box they are mounted on. Even if you have to remove a 110V detector to replace a defective one, there is typically a two-part plastic harness that wire-nutted to the power; the harness snaps apart and you can usually get a replacement unit that snaps into the old harness. I have had battery-only detectors that required dismounting, but all the hard-wired ones I've had experience with always have had a little battery access door on the outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here