Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have to add ground to ym wiring?

Posted by Sun-n-Clay (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 10:56

I'm a novice at all this electrical stuff so please forgive me if I don't use the correct jargon.

I live in a 1950s house with two prong plugs galore. There is no ground. When we got Uverse installed, the electrician had to install a proper setup for my TV and computer. He also converted the plug by the sink to GCFI.

I would like to convert all my plugs to three pin plugs because it is a pain to use the adapters to plug in anything with three prongs.

Do I need to get the electrician to also add ground to all my plugs? I am hoping that someone can explain in simple terms why I should or should not.

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have to add ground to ym wiring?

You can use GFCI receptacles in place of two prong plugs at each location.
Keep in mind this does NOT create a ground, just protects people (pretty well).

Electronic equipment needs a 3-prong plug with a solid ground for protection from static electricity (among other issues).

If you own the house you could start to upgrade circuits (in most places) dedicated to computers and other expensive electronics a little at a time.

o

Being 1950s vintage, it probably has metal j-boxes, and metal conduits, giving you excellent grounding all the way back to the main panel. If so, then you only have to drill and tap the individual j-boxes for a green GND screw, then connect the new 3-prong receptacles to GND with a short "pigtail" of green or bare copper wire, of proper gauge.

Architectural side note: is house by any chance a cool 50s style, such as MidMod or Atomic Ranch?

o

Actually, depending on the region 50's construction could be anything from knob and tube to to early romex. Can't say I've ever seen residential conduit around here. Around here that era is most likely to be old-style BX which has very dubious grounding.

o

The major change from BX to AC was the bonding strip to make sure the coils armor coils remained bonded.

o

Mah bad, I have regional bias, and OP doesn't say where they're located.

OTOH, K&T, as late as the 1950s(!), really? Shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!... lol, pun intended.

Please enlighten my ignorance and name any regions/locales that used, or even allowed, knob and tube, in NEW construction, post-WW2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here