Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wire size for 150 amp sub panel

Posted by k2highlandfarm (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 10:48

I have 1 gauge copper wire for my 2 hot wires and 2 gauge copper for my neutral running 260 feet from my main 200 amp service panel to my barn. Is this enough for 150 amp service in the barn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wire size for 150 amp sub panel

Well that all depends. First off, it depends on the type of wire used. With something like THWN-2 you'd get 150A out of #1, for THWN you'd only get 130 and would need to size up to 1/0.
You might also want to consider sizing up for voltage drop issues. 150A over 260 feet on #1 will be almost 12 volts of drop.

As for the neutral, if you are relatively assured of no more than 115A of unbalanced load, OK.

Is this an existant installation? If it isn't and you're subject to the 2008 NEC, or you have other metalic paths between the buildings (water piping, phone, tv), then you also need to run a grounding conductor (#6 would appear to suffice).

Of course it goes without saying that you need a grounding system for the barn.

o

It is an existing installation. There are no other metallic paths between the buildings. There is a ground wire. It is either #6 or #4, I cannot remember. It is THWN-2. The bonding screw is not connected in the 100 amp subpanel that I want to upgrade to 150 and it is grounded to a six foot grounding rod at the subpanel. My plan is if the wire can handle it then I will replace the 100 amp panel with a 150 amp panel. Do you think I am good to go?

o

Most 200A panels will only accept up to a 125 branch circuit breaker.
A 150A "sub-panel" is an odd ball.

o

"...is grounded to a six foot grounding rod at the subpanel."

One rid is not enough unless you show its resistance is less than 25 ohms to earth.

Since doing the measurement involves driving another rod, and only one additional rod is required anyway, simply adding the second rod is usually the easiest solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here