Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Reducing dimmer clutter

oldbat2be
12 years ago

Our current wiring plan for our renovated kitchen/pantry/mudroom/living room calls for banks of multiple switches / dimmers at various locations.

Currently, everything is open to the studs.

DH can take care of the wiring, just needs direction. We would like to put in keypads at two doorways, instead of banks of, say, 5 switches / dimmers. We have a location in the pantry which could accomodate the bank of switches.

I am having a very hard time figuring out what is required for this, as well as estimated cost of the equipment required to make this work. If cost for the 'keypads' solution is over $1000, it is probably not worth it to us.

We are putting in CREE LR6 LCD recessed cans, INVISILED LCD undercabinet lighting, with 3 or 4 hanging lights (not yet determined). There are around 12 zones and multiple dimmers planned.

I found the below comment in an old thread. This seems simple and doable; I would appreciate comments / suggestions / review of what we are trying to do.

Posted by normclc (normb@norburn.com) on Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 20:29

Here's my take on the Lightolier Multiset system.

These are approximate prices, as I deal only in Canadian $.

You would install a Multiset dimmer for each light, or series of lights, you want to control.

The selection of each dimmer would depend on the type of load( incandescent, magnetic low voltage ) and the total load.

These dimmers are around $125.00.

They are installed exactly as you would any dimmer, but in a spot that is less conspicious,such as a closet or pantry,

All these dimmers are connected together with a single "carrier" wire which goes to a key pad and a series of key pads.Some large kicthen may need 2 such key pads.

These key pads ,worth about $225 each will give you 4 scenes, all on, and all on at 50%

That's all you need for this system

Comments (6)