Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
15" overhang on end of peninsula - where do I put the outlet?

Posted by Kentbury (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 10:22

Hi folks,

I am remodeling a kitchen and just met with the electrician. The end of the peninsula is to have an ample overhang on all three sides to allow seating for at least 3 people. We are tall and have designed the long side (outside of the kitchen) to have a 14" overhang and the curved "end" to extend 15" over the cabinets. The electrician had indicated that we won't meet code for our receptacles in the peninsula because they will not meet the 24 inch rule.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could we build out some type of box and have the outlets sticking out from the cabinets? (not ideal)

I really don't want to decrease the overhang. Am I stuck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 15" overhang on end of peninsula - where do I put the outlet?

A recessed Pop-Up Receptacle could work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed Pop-Up Receptacle

o

Mounting it in the overhead cabinets would be acceptable if it's not more than 20" above the countertop.

Also, there is no "24 inch" rule for peninsulas or islands (like there is for wall countertops) The only requirement is that the peninsula be served by at least one receptacle (anywhere along it). The only 24 inch rule for peninsulas is that they don't required receptacles if they are shorter than 24"

o

HI Ronnatalie,

The peninsula is 96" long and there are no overhead cabinets. So you think that if I put a recpeticle in the end of the peninsula I should be fine, even though there is a 15" overhang? That is great news.

o

If the single receptacle isn't under a 15" overhang itself, that's fine (i.e. the overhang on the end is 12" or less) that will work.

o

Place the receptacle at the beginning of the peninsula.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here