Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 lights are wired wrong ?

Posted by p.patp (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 9:55

We just moved in and found 2 lights are wired wrong.
When I turn on a closet light a living room light turns on very dim. Hoping it`s a simple fix !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 lights are wired wrong ?

The living room light, is it a lamp plugged into a wall receptacle or a ceiling fixture? Answer this question and then I will have more questions eventually leading to a suggestion about the problem you describe.

o

Both are ceiling fixtures on separate switches.

o

you have a loose neutral

o

Are you saying that if the living room light is off and you turn on the closet light, the living room light comes on dimly?

o

yes

o

Its a MWBC (Edison) and you have a loose neutral.

o

From the beginning, I have considered that this may be a serious post and that the described problem actually exists. But also considered that maybe it is not.
One responding post suggests a loose neutral. And the system at that premises may have that problem.
But the poster says that with the living room ceiling light OFF (switch OPEN), turning on the closet light makes the living room light glow dimly. Lets say there is a loose neutral and turning on the closet light supplies some voltage to the living room light via the neutral (white). But the other conductor (black) connected to the living room light is connected only to a switch which is OFF. So how does current, of any amount, flow through the lamp (bulb)? And no description is given about how the closet light presents in this instance.
Perhaps this post was just a spoof.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 10:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here