Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a 60W transformer?

Posted by jeannie01 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 9:53

I found a really nice lighted bird bath for my yard.

BUT

It comes with a 6 ft SJTW Cord, and 25 feet of SPT Cable.
It states that you need a 60W Transformer with Timer/Photocell.

The wires would not have a plug on them -so I guess I would need to buy the transformer and have someone wire the bird bath to it, but what does the transformer do? What does the transformer get plugged into?

I know absolutely NOTHING about wiring/electrical things. I only know how to turn on/off lights!
I really want this BB - but, I want to be sure that I can get it to work.

Oh, is there anyway that I could put a plug on the end?

Thanks Oh Wise forum members !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a 60W transformer?

What voltage?

o

I'm going to guess that this device can be run using the same type of transformer used to operate low voltage outdoor lighting. You can find these in the lighting section at HD or Lowes.

o

So you hard wire the birdbath light to the transformer - then does the transformer have a plug that goes into a normal outlet?

o

Yes, same as a cell phone charger, cordless tool charger, those are all transformers.

o

What output voltage is required? While others here are saying it is like a cell phone charger, those are not nearly 60W output. A 60W transformer will be larger than some will imagine.

o

Guessing again, 120v input to 12v output. Bigger than a cellphone charger, more like a laptop charger.

o

then does the transformer have a plug that goes into a normal outlet?

Yes, same as a cell phone charger, cordless tool charger, those are all transformers.

While others here are saying it is like a cell phone charger, those are not nearly 60W output. A 60W transformer will be larger than some will imagine.

My answer was strictly to this question only. Though thinking about it it could be hardwired. I was not addressing the output.

o

Just watch out that you actually get a transformer, and not an AC/DC power supply (an 'electronic' transformer.

While the electronic ones are fine for lights and other purely resistive loads, they will play havoc with a motor load and can cause overheating that burns up the motor.

A 60 W, 120 V input, 12 V output transformer is NOT going to be a small device by any means.
60 W at 12 volts is 5 amps, and the secondary wire (12 V output side) will be sized for this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here