Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing wiremold (surface wiring) into recessed wiring/outlets

Posted by atlantic123 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 8:45

We removed our plaster wall that was directly on the exterior brick. We are installing 3/4" furring strips today. We will have 1/2" insulation (unfortunately, our room is way too small to use anything else).

The previous owners installed surface wiring on the plaster wall to create two outlets. The highest one has the outdoor light directly behind it. The second outlet is located about 2' directly below the first outlet. We would LOVE to have the wires in the wall cavity and the outlets flush with the new drywall.

Our general contractor said this would be difficult due to issues with insulating the wires. He is a friend and has helped us a lot along the way. I'm thinking maybe he drawing the line on this particular job. :) I want to find out if this is a DIY job for my husband and me. A search on the internet hasn't pulled up anything! Maybe I don't know the common "key words" or terms?

Any advice or links would be great!

I also couldn't find info on this forum. Sorry if I missed it!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing wiremold (surface wiring) into recessed wiring/outle

"Our general contractor said this would be difficult due to issues with insulating the wires."

Bovine Scatology.

Just us MC cable under the new drywall.

You may have to cut away some minimal insulation for fit.

o

Insulation shouldn't be much of a concern. The real issue is with less than an inch of depth to play with, you're not going to get any sort of legal box FLUSH with the finish wall for switches or receptacles (you may get a pancake in to support a light).

o

Boxes can be cut part way into the brick without any real risk to anything.

4x4 boxes 1.25 inches deep with a plaster ring are about as shallow a box as you can use.

The height gets to just about 1.75 inches, so a 0.75 space and 0.5 inch drywall means you barely need to cut into the brick.

An often easier alternative is to use 2x lumber for the furring strips and get 1.5 inches for work space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here