Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voltage detector low reading

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 8:27

Tested a cable with my GB circuit alert pen that supposedly measures 50-600 VAC. The cable led to a door bell transformer. However when I test the connections at the transformer and the doorbell with my multimeter it only measures 18-20 VAC.

How come my voltage pen is picking up the lower VAC? Am I missing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voltage detector low reading

Is this a serious question? Look at the transformer. Is it marked as 16 volts?

o

The alert pen is first and foremost a voltage detection and warning safety device.
When you want exact voltage readings in house wiring and appliances, it's time to use the analog multimeter first for most AC work. When getting into deeper troubleshooting a cheap DVM may also be a big help but be aware an analog multimeter reading is usually the more "honest" one when it comes to home voltage readings.

This post was edited by laat2 on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 12:05

o

Maybe I should have rephrased it. The volt pen says the low end is 50VAC but indicated voltage on the doorbell wiring that measured 16-18 VAC.

Is the pen picking up stray voltage to get to that 50VAC? or is it more sensitive then the label states?

o

A device like that doesn't see 51V or 50V and suddenly not detect anything at 49V or below. It can probably DETECT voltage below 50, but it is not very accurate at those levels, so they don't claim it will work in that range.

o

If you rub it on your shirt it will light up from the static electricity. Yes, it is possible it is more sensitive than the label says. As stated before, get a real meter if you are concerned with the actual voltage reading as opposed to if there is or is not voltage present.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here