Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegrammy

Main breaker problem? Half the circuits seem unstable

mainegrammy
9 years ago

Yesterday my husband was installing a new outdoor spotlight using the old one's connections. He's wise, experienced, & 99% cautious... He didn't check to make sure that light switch was off. Big spark. Boom!

(He's still mortified, which is why I'm posting--and I don't know all the technical terms.)

The rest of the day, half the power in the house was unstable, apparently correlating to 2 halves of the main breaker. Examples: kitchen circuit works fine! Then it doesn't. Then kitchen lights just glow softly. Then they won't go on again. Then they're on, nice & bright. Repeat...

He did some Internet research. He flipped off main breaker for a while, then on; same problems. He flipped each of the smaller breakers, ditto. Tried this many times. We currently have power everywhere.

We're in the 4th of July weekend... He left info on electricians' "emergency" services; this is a rural area; no one's called us back yet. Power company truck just came by--no problems on their end, per our meter.

Husband's theory: there was corrosion in breakers; flipping circuits a lot cleaned it off; all's well.

He wired this 12-room 1800s farmhouse 41 years ago based on a Sears How-to book; the electrician who checked it over was so impressed that he invited him to join his company as a partner (really). So he's good, but I'm a worried old lady nonetheless.

1) Could that short + the fading in-and-out have damaged something that could eventually cause a fire?

2) What do you figure caused the variability (off-just barely glowing-on-glowing-OK-off--glowing, etc.)?

3) Should we consider replacing any/all breakers?

I need enough info so I can make sense of whatever an electrician tells us, if/when one comes (husband might decide to cancel).

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)