Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
about Christmas Lights

Posted by jtaeko (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 1:06

Hi, I wanted to know what that third wire is in a christmas light string? At the plug and other end there are 2 wires coming out of them. I'm assuming they're the hot and neutral wires. But between the first and last LED lights there's a third wire connecting all of the lights. I was wondering what that's for? Is that to make the lights a parallel circuit? I thought all christmas lights were series?

And I wanted to know, if I can connect two strings of LED lights together by snipping off the plug ends and wire nutting the hot to hot and neutral to neutral wires together? I know that there's a fuse in the male plug that I'll lose if I do this. Is there anything else I should know about doing this?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: about Christmas Lights

It could be one of two things.

1. Some strings have a socket on the far end to provide 120V there so you can chain multiple sets together. The extra wire just brings that power through.

2. These minture sets put all the lower voltage bulbs (typically a 6v or so for incandescents, 1.8 for LEDS) in series to drop the 120V supply. If there are more bulbs than that drop adds up to, they may actually divide the bulbs amongst parallel strands.

Absent inspecting the wiring carefully, we can't tell you what you have.

o
RE: about Christmas Lights

The three wires may look confusing at first, but are really very simple - two of them just feed a hot and neutral downstream from one end to the other - the third is just a series feeder.

Let's say you have a strand with 180 light bulbs and it has light bulbs rated at 2 volts each. So first you put 60 of them in series and it will drop the 120 VAC over them equally to 2 volts each.

The next set of 60 light bulbs is just placed across the continuing parallel hot/neutral pair, again in series, and drops the voltage accordingly.

The last set of 60 light bulbs does the same thing.

The light bulbs also may include a "shunt" which has a slightly higher resistance than the bulb filament itself, but will continue to conduct downstream the keep the strand lit if the filament burns out.

With LEDs, there are more options to address inline failures and voltage drop depending on strand length.

Without getting into the "defeating the UL listing" of the light strands, yes, you can just wire nut them together, but can't you just hide the plug/receptacle connection?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here