Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splice outside junction box

Posted by glen2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 0:16

At my home we're having the bathroom remodeled. I got home today to find the contractor's electrician installed all new receptacle boxes but spliced old and new sections of bx cable outside a junction box and just wrapped the splice with electrical tape. Once the drywall goes up, this splice would be sealed up forever. I am informed enough to know that splices should be made in a junction box. Am I not correct ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splice outside junction box

Yes, unfortunately there are some electricians out there that just want to do terrible things to avoid time and cost of doing it right, more often it is contractors that use their own laborers to hack wiring together. Go ahead and bust them and insist on an installation to code before sheetrock. Since your wiring is old, they will have to bring the wiring to modern code for the bathroom. This will require a new 20 amp circuit back to the panel no matter how difficult it is to do so. The old wiring coming into the bathroom will have to be decommissioned or routed to any of the new boxes to properly terminate it. Do not settle for any answers like, "Oh that is grandfathered in" or "this is a remodel so codes don't apply" This is part of the problem with doing work without a permit, some people use it as a free for all as to how their work is done. Recently two different customers of mine had their kitchens remodeled with a "contractor" that does his own wiring. I wrote up a page of about 30 electrical code violations for both of the jobs for the customer to use in legal action. Good luck and don't settle for anything less than a proper installation (which they probably did not bid to/ plan to do)

o

I spoke to the electrician, and he said the splice was only temporary, so the other workers would have power for their tools while they complete the framing. He is going to run a new 20 amp circuit before the drywall goes up.

o

Well, he is either an ok electrician or he can think fast when cornered by an alert homeowner...

o

Why can't they just use an extension cord to another outlet, like in the kitchen or basement?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here