Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Must haves on a new house?

Posted by ras9999 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 0:13

Doing electrical on my house next week.
Need all your opinions and advice on electrical/wiring I should do on this 2 story 3900 sqr foot house (san jose, Ca).

I have 4 recessed lights on a switch for all bedrooms with a 2nd switch for center light/fan.

Electrician recommended 5" recessed lights everywhere. Said the 4" is too focused and need a lot more.

House is 10' ceilings on 1st floor, and 9' on 2nd (all bedrooms on 2nd floor).

Any special things like plugs, locations, etc.. I should consider?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Must haves on a new house?

Put in plenty of outlets. Numerous around where a TV is going to be located. Think about 3-way light switches beside the bed.

o

Listen to him on the recessed. He is absolutely correct.

Have him run a 3-wire to the fans, just in case you get one with a light.

This sounds like yet another typical McMansion. Best advice is to listen to your guy. He probably has the same advice we can give.
How many people living in this tiny house? 3?

o

Ask the electrician about getting a whole house surge suppressor.

o

And a 24kW standby generator.

o

Yes, the kind of generator that can be used to supply voltage to your main panel, rather than your back yard.

o

put solar panels on roof

o

An extra or dedicated circuit for any room designated as "home office" with double duplex receptacles so you have plenty of places to plug stuff in without using power strips.

COAX and Cat5 to every room your likely to put a computer or TV in.

Maybe some provisions for exterior lighting beyond the typical entry lights. Even if you don't install them, rough-in for spots for the backyard or wherever the kids are likely to play. Lot easier to do now that later.

o

"An extra or dedicated circuit for any room designated as "home office" with double duplex receptacles so you have plenty of places to plug stuff in without using power strips."

HA! In my home office I would need a quad every three feet.
I literally have five power strips and two UPS's in mine, and it's only a 10x10 room.
I personally feel wiring to avoid power strips is pointless. A couple of good quality power strips are NOT a bad thing.

o

Petey, the problem is that most people opt for the $2.99 power strip at Wally World...

o

I would hope anyone who has an actual "home office" would be smarter than that. I hope for a lot of things. :(

o

If you want 13 outlets and the chance to watch the voltage crash every day at breakfast and dinner, try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Furman Elite - 15 DMi

o

Just a thought, if you're building new construction residential in the bay area, you've already spent a fortune on a building permit based on an extremely detailed set of plans and the building inspector has to check off everything you do. You should go with what your licenced electrician interprets from the plans, so you don't get red tagged and have to go through plan review again. On the other hand, if your plans are just to code, they may not have all the great ideas built in that these guys are recommending and you should take the time now to make sure you'll be happy with what you're paying for.
Good Luck!

o

If you make changes along the way in a new house from the plans you get tagged and have to go through a plan review?????

Well, add that to the LONG list of reasons NOT to live in Kalifornia.

o

Things I like:

- Regular wall switches that dim
- How about a heated bathroom floor
- Heat lamp in the bathroom
- Small ceiling spots or floods for certain rooms (bathroom included)

o

iso-grounds in office and 20a circuts. also spec grade recs/switches

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here