Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_kaiser_gw

Puck Lights

mike_kaiser_gw
10 years ago

A friend tells me she has some puck lights that are going through lamps quickly. The fixtures were installed as part of a complete kitchen remodel about 10 years ago. So I do some investigating and there's three "groups" of these lights, each group fed by a transformer in the basement. The individual transformers are controlled by line voltage switches in the living space.

What's odd is that there's only one or two pucks in each group that appear to be problematic. Can, for example, a loose socket in a puck cause premature failure of the lamp? I asked, she is not touching the lamp with her bare fingers when changing it.

For my own edification I'm curious about the wiring of these pucks. I've seen transformers hidden on top of cabinets or inside cabinet but I've never seen a "remote" one. These transformers seem to feed the pucks via a cable that looks very similar to the one used for low voltage landscape lighting. I didn't look for any kind of markings. And with the exception of a couple of connections on top of the cabinets all the splices from the main cable to the wires for the puck light seem to be made inside the wall.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)