Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troy10_gw

wiring recessed lights - need help

Troy10
10 years ago

Ok guys.. I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can. I'm remodeling the kitchen. I have torn down my ceiling to added recessed lights. OK.. original setup:

One kitchen light fixture in kitchen, looks to be all original wiring, house built in 1970's. Wires that run into the light fixture is one 14-2 wire (labeled feed on joist) and another 14-2 (labeled switch). The one 14-2 wire going on to the rest of the circuit.

What I would like to do:

remove the existing light fixture and put in 4 or 5 cans in it's place. I would like to run if off the same switch it's currently there, and keep the 14-2 wire that is going out to the rest of the circuit.
Current wiring setup is:
All whites nutted together. Black from switch nutted to black from light fixture. Black from feed nutted to black from wire going out to rest of circuit. And all grounds nutted together.

As a small test tried to wire two recessed lights up. One in the same location as the original fixture, and another a few feet away.

Ok.. here's where it gets interesting.. at least for me. I *thought* that the 14-2 marked feed carried the power, and the 14-2 marked switch, was just that.. a switch. However I have since learned that the switch is also carrying power. If I take a meter to the 14-2 marked feed, I get 120... and if I take a meter to 14-2 marked switch (with switch turned on of course) I get 120 from that as well.
I see examples where I could wire with 14-2 if power is going to the switch first, then to the rest of the lights. I also see examples where if power source is going to "light-1", then 14-3 wire in between the rest of the cans, then 14-2 back to the switch.
But it seems as though I have both examples combined.. power coming into the light-1 from the feed wire.. and power going into switch and then to the light when switch is turned on.
Can anybody possibly help me with this??

Comments (2)