Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
What causes a small spark in outlet?

Posted by robar (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 22:42

What causes a small spark when you plug or unplug something from an outlet? It could be any small appliance.....heater.....whatever. I sometimes notice a small spark when plugging in or unplugging......what causes this spark?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: What causes a small spark in outlet?

Current is still flowing through the plug. When the gap between the plug and the contacts is small enough, even with household voltages, it can span the gap and make an arc. The more current flowing the larger the magnitude of the arc. The duration is diminished the faster you get the plug out.


 o
RE: What causes a small spark in outlet?

When you break a circuit while current is still flowing, the air at the point of the breaking contact tends to ionize enough to support a momentary arc. The higher the current and the slower you remove the plug, the bigger the spark. Electric heating devices tend to draw a relatively high current.
It's best to have the power switch on the appliance turned off before unplugging it, especially on those drawing higher current, in order to avoid the accumulation of high resistance pitting that this arcing causes on the plug and receptacle contacts.


 o
RE: What causes a small spark in outlet?

Yep, this is normal, although not necessarily desirable. Every switch, at the moment of contact, makes a tiny spark. The lower the voltage, the smaller the spark. Heck, a 'spark plug' is just a 'switch' that's not quite closed! Jack the voltage up high enough, and that spark will jump across. Pretty handy, but that spark also blasts away a tiny amount of material. Modern spark plugs are made with chi-chi metals that limit the damage. Same for specialty and industrial switches. But if you look inside an old switch, you'll see the contacts are pitted and blackened from the 'damage' caused by opening and closing.

As mentioned, you'll get a bigger spark from an appliance if it is under load. Especially an appliance that heats: toaster, hair dryer, whatever. Heating draws a lot of juice, giving that spark extra energy to jump the gap.

Old, worn-out outlets can spark on their own too, if the contacts have gotten so sloppy the plug doesn't stay in firmly. Another good reason to replace your old two-prong outlets with good three-pronged ones with proper grounding...


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here