Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check this out

Posted by hexus (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 22:32

Photobucket

I did a small office remodel today. Every single receptacle in the place was like this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check this out

It made the $5 outlet tester happy.

o

Ground...neutral. Eh, what's the difference? :-)

o

Some people should just simply keep their hands OFF this stuff. Electrical is a case where knowing just enough to make it work is worse than knowing nothing at all.
Seeing sh*t like this makes my blood boil.

To the complete moron HACK that did this, has done this, or is thinking about doing this: Keep your hands off electrical work and call someone who knows what they are a doing!!!

Oh, and nice high quality devices for an office. Sheesh.

o

Iwould like to hear the technical reason why this is not acceptable.

o

The ground is like a spare tire. You've paid for and carry it around and hope you never need it. When you start using it to save on buying a new tire you don't have a spare anymore and if a tire goes flat on you, well, there is no spare, you're stuck.

If something goes wrong on the electric and you've used the 'spare' already, you're dead.

o

I would like to hear the technical reason why this is not acceptable.

Because if the neutral goes open between the receptacle and the panel all the metal parts of the device plugged into the receptacle that should be a ground potential are now at line potential and a shock hazard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here