Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Alternatives to Wire Mold? Advice needed and thanks.

SparklingWater
10 years ago

I wish to ask for your advice to keep to code and still have electrical outlets in my kitchen and eat in pantry.

Like many new remodels, we have installed nice under cabinet lights as well as what I thought would be low profile Plug mold but instead is Wire mold. Aesthetically speaking, I do not like the look of an outlet box mounted on the bottom of the frameless cabinet. The cabinet light bar is 3/4," low profile, a point emphasized throughout this remodel which went down to bare back wall (post studs). The Wire mold receptacle hangs down 1 to 11/4" and is especially very visible from where we will sit. Yes, this was discussed ahead of time but...

So how to fix this? I am aware of the Legrand 2000 TR 3/4" Plug mold, but don't know how expensive it is per 36" section. I suspect it is nearly $150 per 3 feet. Does anyone know? Has anyone installed/used it?

There is a GFCI outlet at the beginning of the circuitry run, so all which follow will be protected too, i.e., power off.

Is it possible to simply forgo hiding an outlet under the cabinet and revert back to a plain old outlet? The Romex is there already but I don't know what code stipulates on distance of wall outlet from under cabinet surface. Can a wall receptacle be close to the under cabinet surface? Drywall is long done: this would mean back tracking :/. Not ideal at all.

Could the electrician fish the Romex down farther behind the drywall, and then install wall outlets to code? If need be, the Wire mold could stay the way it is in the kitchen and Legrand Plug mold or wall receptacles put in the pantry beverage area (about 6 feet).

Thank you for any suggestions.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 22:28

Comments (6)