Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling fan switch: no ground wire

Posted by liparulo (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 22:15

I'm changing a wall switch, which controls a ceiling fan and light (two separate controls on the switch). The switch I bought said it can be wired to all existing fan/light wiring. It has three wires coming out of it: fan, light, power(hot). The old one had four wires: fan, light, power, ground. The new one does not have a ground wire or even a terminal to connect the bare ground wire that used to be connected to the green ground of the old switch. Did I get the wrong switch or am I to simply connect the bare ground wire to the screw holding the new switch box to the wall box? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling fan switch: no ground wire

Leave the ground off.

o

Grounded switches can only be replaced with grounded switches.

You need to get another switch, just as you had before, that includes a equipment grounding terminal or wire.

o

"Grounded switches can only be replaced with grounded switches. "

Give the code reference

o

Switches 2008 NEC Article 409.9(B) "Grounding":

"Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor and shall provide a means to connect metal faceplates to the equipment grounding conductor, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Snap switches shall be considered to be part of the effective ground-fault current path if either of the following conditions is met:

(1) The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or metal cover that is connected to an equipment grounding conductor or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for connecting to an equipment grounding conductor.

(2)An equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch."

----------------------------
Since the original poster makes no mention of a metal box nor any mention of a non-metallic box with an integral means to connect to an equipment grounding conductor, the only type switch that can be used here is one that has its own equipment grounding conductor terminal or equipment grounding conductor.

It is a code violation to use the ungrounded switch he purchased and needs to replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here