Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New 200 amp service install questions...

Posted by heyyou910 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 22:12

I just purchased a Square D Homeline 200 amp breaker box to go inside my shop. The breaker box has 4 lugs at the top just below the main. The outside 2 lugs are for the 240 volt. The 2 inside lugs are for a neutral and what appears to be a size for a ground. This box has a screw lug bar on each side and I when I ohmed out the small bars, they showed no resistance to the neutral and ground connection at the top. Does this mean that when the power guys come out to hookup my power, after that my neutral and ground wire can go on the same bar? This is my main panel, not a sub panel. Also, from the ground rod drove into the floor, does this #6 wire go to the grounding lug on top beside the neutral or does it attach to one of the bars on the side?
I've wired up boxes before, but that was when they had 2 lugs for hot, a seperate neutral bar and a seperate grounding bar. Just want to make sure that I can connect my neutrals and grounds on the same bar without screwing something up.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New 200 amp service install questions...

If there is no resistance, then all the bars are connected together.

If there is very high or infinite resistance, then the small bars are not connected to the neutral bar. If this is the case, then you probably need to install the main bonding jumper which will most likely be a green screw that will install in a specific hole in the neutral bar. If you look carefully at all the labels stuck in the box and the cover, one of them will indicate where to install the main bonding jumper.

BTW, one ground rod rarely satisfies the requirements of the NEC, you'll need to install a second rod at least 6 feet away from the first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here