Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Recipe for disaster...

Posted by spencer_electrician (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 21:25

Got called to a brand new building which is being used as a doctor's office. After they had a store deliver 3 dryers, each one returned as defective, they realized maybe something electrically was wrong. Upon opening the box, I see that some idiot used 10/2 MC cable using the green for neutral. I measured no voltage to green so traced to a junction box. Above the ceiling tile and no cover plate installed, I see the box with 2 #10 green wires hanging out, unconnected. One heading to the dryer and one to a medical machine. Scary part is, the doctor said the last dryer worked. Must of been using the dryer vent as neutral or the heating element was balancing the load enough for the timing mechanism to work. The green wire was not bonded to the the junction box so it would not be possible for it to use the MC cable sheath. Let alone to use a 3-wire connection on a dryer receptacle installed in 2009 but to use a 2-wire! Big company did the work too, I'm sure it's their standard to use 10/2. Maybe they usually at least finish making up their junction boxes.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Recipe for disaster...

Makes you wonder what other wiring is screwed up in that building!

RE: Recipe for disaster...

"Makes you wonder what other wiring is screwed up in that building!"

Wiring in separate offices in a building is usually the responsibility of the person leasing the space, not the landlord.

The wiring must be done by a licensed electrician with plans, permits, etc. but the entity leasing the space is usually responsible for hiring whomever does the work.

Delivery of a copy of the plans to the landlord is often called out in the lease so that what is in the space is documented and known.

Generally you are required to leave the improvements like wiring behind, but not the actual equipment the wiring was supplying unless it was things like water heaters or additional A/C that would damage the building if removed.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here