Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charging drawer in kitchen ?

Posted by labbie (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 21:13

Hi,
Crosspost from the kitchen forum-
Looking for input from anyone familiar with charging drawers in kitchens. This is a late add for us, and our cabinet maker and electrician have thrown out a couple of ideas that could work.

We will convert a shallow drawer next to the fridge to a charging drawer and wanted to know what the 'guts' of the drawer will involve- is it as simple as cutting out a spot for the wires to go through the back or side and figuring out a way so the drawer can still slide? Our electrician was thinking of a retractable type cord and I'm having trouble picturing how this would work.

I appreciate any tips- and photos if you have them.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charging drawer in kitchen ?

You might want to search this forum for previous threads on this topic.

o

Personally, I would just have the back of the drawer drilled large enough to allow a 3-prong plug through. I would then put a low profile surge protector into the drawer and do all wire management inside the drawer. This leaves a clean look on the outside of the drawer with only a small single cord going through.

Also, make sure you consider something similar to this if you end up hiding all your cell phones! http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BTTN-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B0018NWQPK/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

Here is a link that might be useful: An example (although messy) of what I'm talking about.

o

If the electrician installs a receptacle in the casework of the cabinet such that it doesn't interfere with the drawer motion, then Louisian's idea of just passing the cord over the back of the drawer (possibly through a notch cut in it) would be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here