Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brucegz

3 Rocker Switch Re-Wire

brucegz
10 years ago

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bathroom switch for light/exhaust fan/heat fan. Middle switch controlling exhaust fan been glitchy for years, finally decided to replace it. It's original from '84. Bought a 3 rocker replacement.

Opened up old switch and it had 3 black lines from the wall and 1 white. I assumed white was ground and 3 were powered in order of how they operated previously. Old stile switch had crossovers from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 BUTT I stupidly forgot to take a picture of how it was originally wired.

New switch has a black screw on 1 side and 3 silver screws on the other and a green screw (ground/neutral I assume) on the bottom.

Hooked up the 3 black wires to the 3 screw side and the ground to the green screw but only the top rocker (light worked). Is 1 of the black wires powered and supposed to go to the single black screw on the other side of the 3? If so, I think it's also the light power line. If that's the case, where do the exhaust and heat fan lines go, silver slots #2 and #3? Will rocker #1 still work?

Again, thanks, hope the explanation makes sense.

Comments (5)