Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Wiring Identification from 1941

Posted by RobsterSF (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 20:41

The apartments I reside in were built in 1941. The wiring is very old. Copper core with black cloth type insulator. Luckily everything is run in conduit however I found bare exposed wire in some runs. My plan is to pull all new wire in time however at the moment, when replacing switches and outlets, there is no easy way to identify the hot and neutral lines as they look identical. Is there any simple trick to determining which is which with a volt meter? I have one from Fluke very similar to the one in the link below. This will come in handy when adding switches/outlets and also when replacing the lines with updated properly color coded wiring. Also the conduits are used as the ground, no green ground wires in any box.

http://tinyurl.com/6e6uqye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Wiring Identification from 1941

You can't assume the conduit is grounded unless you check that it's continuous back to the grounding electrodes. The easiest way to tell grounded (neutral) form hot conductor is to use either a non-contact tester or one of the little neon ones that use your body as enough of a ground OR if you have a ground, put a meter or neon bulb between the suspected hot and the ground and you should get an indication. Touching the ground to neutral will do nothing.

The meter will be useful to test things. You'll need to use the probes in the plugs. The clamp-on only reads current.

o

Only licensed electricians and maintenance employees of corporate property owners are permitted to do electrical work on apartments.

o

...but but he has a cool meter.

o

I thought one of the top reasons to live in an apartment or renting in general was to be able to pick up the phone and dial a number and eventually you would come home from work and things would be fixed.

I would recommend putting the meter down and picking up the phone. I think you have the ability to do the work with the right research, I just don't want you to get in trouble. Its not worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here