Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing a wired doorbell

Posted by Northlut (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 19:50

If I remove a wired doorbell, what are my options for covering up the hole it left (the actual bell unit, not the button)? Is my only choice to put a blank plate over the box, or is there some safe and code compliant way to completely cover it and patch the hole? Is that a regular old AC power wire back there? I assume that if I can find where it's connected in to the electricity, I can disconnect that end, and just bury the now dead wire in the wall behind a drywall patch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing a wired doorbell

Doorbells run off a low voltage transformer. You'll often find it in the basement or somewhere near your main panel. Small silver thing about the size of you hand with house wiring on one side and usually two screws on the other.

o

So if we find that and remove it, it's ok to remove the box from the wall where the chime was, and patch over it, even though there's still a wire back there?

o

Yes, just disconnect it from the screws (as on the left side of the picture).
You can abandon the wiring inside the wall.

o

Excellent, thank you!

o

"You can abandon the wiring inside the wall."

Only if you disconnect the other end of the wire.

You cannot leave a live wire with one end open in the wall.

o

I said after it was disconnected from the transformer... brick

o

Department of redundancy department.

o

Just wanted to make sure it did not get omitted along the line.

There are enough ways to create problems with seemingly innocent errors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here