Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No power to one room after taking out wall

Posted by Steffanieand (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 19:43

I took out a half wall between my kitchen and family room. There were receptacles on both sides of the wall which got taken out. Afterwards I had power to the family room but not the kitchen lights. I tried connecting the neutrals to restore the chain but to no avail. Yes, I checked the breaker box--all is well, yes, I checked the gfi's inside and out--all is well. The pics of the wires are how they sit now. To the right of the wire is the family room, four groups, to the left is just the one that feeds the kitchen lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No power to one room after taking out wall

Where did they go?
How were they connected?

Didn't you take this into account before cutting everything out?

o
RE: No power to one room after taking out wall

You connected the neutrals, but what about the hots and the grounds? I suspect you've got an open wire somewhere in one of the boxes that was moved (despite wire clamps, they're really not designed to be moved and can open internally). It's also possible you damaged the cable somewhere. Check the sheath carefully for nicks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here