Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jebtb

using an outlet to power a hard-wired range hood

jebtb
16 years ago

I'm replacing the range hood in my kitchen. The hood I purchased is set up for hard wiring. The electrical source for the hood is a regular outlet, however. I know you shouldn't hard wire a plug in appliance by splicing the plug wire to the hard wire. However, can you plug a hard wired appliance in by connecting the hardwires to a plug, especially if you use a three prong plug so you have a place to wire the ground? If you can't do it by connecting the hard wires from the appliance to a plug, what's the best solution? Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments (14)

• rtscoach
    16 years ago

DO NOT run lamp cord down the wall. This is dangerous and not allowed by code. Mike 73: Why would you give advise on something you obviously know nothing about? At first I thought you were joking... scary.

• bigbird_1
    16 years ago

NM cable is not meant to be connected to a plug, only hard wired. My suggestion is to hardwire the range hood into the receptacle and just fish the NM cable to the rangehood. Drywall kitchen? How far from the recept to the range hood? You may be best off running the NM straight down into the basement then straight up through the floor to the hood instead of removing baseboard and cutting the drywall and notching the studs at the bottom.

• jebtb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The outlet that would power the range hood is maybe six inches above the hood. It's very close and was used to power a plug-in over-range microwave. I could probably easily disconnet the NM from the outlet and fish enough NM cable from the outlet to reach the hard wires on the hood. In a perfect world, however, I'd like to keep the outlet because it would make it very easy to power some over cabinet lighting if I still had one of the receptacles available. Of course, the world is far from perfect.

• spencer_electrician
    16 years ago

If it is 6 inches away your job is very easy. Just push romex out the bottom of the box and grab it through a hole with some needle nose, connect the romex to the hood. Pigtail the new line in with the outlet. If it is too hard for you to fish from the box to the hole, cut the box out, stick you hand in and grab the wire, and fit a remodel box. The outlet does not have to go away. This would only be difficult if the power to the hood was in another stud space to the space the outlet occupies.

• jebtb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Spencer, what does it mean to pigtail the new line with the outlet? I assume it's some way of connecting both the hood and the outlet to the same set of house wires, but I don't know how to do that correctly. I consider myself competent to figure out the right wires to twist together, but I'm not in comfortable territory anytime I start changing the set up of the wiring that's already there.

• mike_73
    16 years ago

I never said it was a good Idea but it did work. I don't think I would want mine done that way premantly. I would find a way to hard wire it like others have suggested tappig the outlet. Using a lamp or even an appliance cord would be very tempoarary at best and that he should wait for a better answer.

• DavidR
    16 years ago

Jeb, go to a bookstore or Home Depot and pick up a copy of Wiring Simplified. All will become clear to you. ;-) Do some homework and you should be in better shape for wiring your range hood properly.

• sbrn33
    16 years ago

How come I can plug in the over-the-range-micro but I have to hard wire the range hood??

• hendricus
    16 years ago

Is it possible to wire an appliance cord on this and then plug it in.

• DavidR
    16 years ago

It's a matter of the way the manufacturer intended the appliance to be used, and its configuration when it was approved by UL and/or other regulatory bodies.

Installing an electrical device contrary to the manufacturer's directions is a code violation. Thus, unless the iinstallation instructions specifically say you can attach a cord and cap, it would be a violation to do so.

• hendricus
    16 years ago

"BR-HCK44 - Range Hood Power Cord Kit: For use when hard wiring is not an option and a plug is needed. "

This is off the Broan website. So it is possible to wire a plug onto certain models?

• DavidR
    16 years ago

So it is possible to wire a plug onto certain models?

That passage implies it. Check the installation instructions for the individual hood. To preserve the UL listing, most likely you'd want to use the Broan kit rather than buying a cord and cap at the hardware store (which would of course be a lot cheaper ;-).

• Tammie Moore
    5 years ago

I have a plug in hood range that is ductless. my question is it ok to let the blower blow over where the plug in outlet is, is that ok? My concern is that it may get wet from the air blowing on it and short out from the mositure or it can cause an electrical fire.