Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help please!! 2 ground wires???

Posted by kali2024 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 19:22

So I have an outlet with a black, a white and a ground (copper). Bought a new outdoor fixture and it has a black, a white and TWO(?) ground wires.. Not sure what there's two and how do i connect these? I know to wrap the ground from the outlet to the ground screw , but what about the fixture's two copper wires? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help please!! 2 ground wires???

Here's another pic

o

This fixture needs to be mounted to a box.
If you have a black, white and ground in that box you connect white to white, black to black, and all three grounds together.

You keep referring to "outlet". Do you just mean the box, or is there actually a receptacle in the box?

o

The two ground wires are to make sure both large pieces that make up the light fixture remain safety grounded to the same point within the house electrical box providing the power at all times. Possible reasons: just electrical code regulations, or the light housing and the wall portion could made of different metals and need to be electrically isolated to prevent corrosion so two wires are needed, or they are made of different metals but not electrically isolated and will eventually corrode where they are in contact so two separate ground wires are needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here