Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI circuit breaker installation

Posted by avalon2all (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 19:12

I am trying to replace a standard 20A square D circuit breaker with a 20A square D one-pole QO/QOB circuit breaker and GFCI. The circuit is an existing circuit for our garage receptacles. Thanks to you guys on the forum I have hooked up the breaker properly (again short of hiring an electrician). I have both neutrals attached to the neutral bar and the black wire is connected to the circuit breaker.

WHAT HAPPENS: when I try to turn the breaker to the ON position, IT TRIPS ......everytime! Is there something I can do or is it time to call the electrician?

thanks for your help everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI circuit breaker installation

. I have both neutrals attached to the neutral bar and the black wire is connected to the circuit breaker.

The GFCI works by measuring the electricity going and coming back. If you don't run the neutral through the GFCI it won't work.

o

thank you hendricus for the quick response.
I think I am covered there. one of the neutrals is the circuit wire that runs with the black wire to the receptacles. the other neutral is the white curly wire coming from the GFCI unit.

o

What hendricus tried to say was that the neutral that runs with the black wire to the receptacles does NOT go to the neutral bar. It goes to a terminal on the GFCI breaker.
If you actually have that correct, one other possibility is that this neutral is also the neutral for another branch circuit (i.e., of the other polarity).

Angie_DIY

o
RE: GFCI circuit breaker installation, bingo

BINGO !
Thank you Angie DIY that did the trick.
hendricus and Angie DIY you saved the day for me.

This forum is AWESOME!
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR BEING OUT THERE.

o

Glad to be able to help (for a change!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here