Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edensnake

Pump house wiring

edensnake
11 years ago

I'm wiring a new pump house which has four (H-H-N-G) 8 gauge wires from a main panel double pole breaker (actually the main panel is a subpanel since it comes off a meter pole main disconnect). Besides the 240 for the pump I want a 120 outlet in the well house. A friend advised me to install a double 30Amp fuse box (with pull out disconnect) to feed the pump_ since fuses will blow before a breaker will trip in the event of a lightning strike. I assume I can run a 12 gauge hot wire wire from this fuse box block) to a small subpanel (including the neutral and ground of course) which will have a `20 amp GFCI breaker to feed the outlet. Any problem with this?

Comments (2)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Neither fuses nor breakers are really going to do anything in the event of a lightning strike. You'll need a disconnect for everything at the pump house which can be the fused disconnect for the pump and some other kind of disconnect (switch) for the receptacle. You might just put in a small sub panel.

You will need a grounding system (rods) for this structure.

• hendricus
    11 years ago

I assume I can run a 12 gauge hot wire wire from this fuse box block)

If that fuse block is 30 amp you have to use #10 wire to the sub panel. After the 20 amp GFCI breaker you run 12 gauge.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler