Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The case of the mysterious power loss

Posted by andcounting (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 17:38

Hi,

Our a vintage condo (circa around 1910-11) has recently been having electrical issues.

First, the light switch in the kitchen appeared to have died (once replaced it worked) but then the bedroom that shares a wall has started having issues too - the bedroom ceiling light stopped working, then the outlet on the wall with the kitchen stopped working... now the outlet is working again but the light switch for the ceiling light is cold. We've also tried replacing the ceiling light switch a couple times to no avail (before it went cold).

I'm guessing there is some problem (loose connection? bad wire?) perhaps at the breaker box... maybe in the walls? (Hope not!) Any thoughts on how to pinpoint the issue? I am definitely willing to consult an electrician or handyman, but I'd like to get a better idea of what the issue might be.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The case of the mysterious power loss

You might be wise to first check with your property manager/board of directors and determine who is responsible for looking after the electrical system maintenance in your unit. Condos often like to keep their utilities systems work restricted to a few tradesmen so they can keep on top of failure trends and future requirements.

o

Further, in most places it's illegal to so your own electrical work in multiunit buildings.

o

The board has advised me that the wiring system in our building is a limited common element and is exclusively the individual unit owners responsibility. All the wiring from our fusebox into our unit is specific to our unit and would likely not impact anyone else.

Any advice on the issue would be appreciated.

o

Being responsible for having it maintained is NOT the same as it being legal for you to do the work. It impacts the other units because if your electrical hacking sets your unit on fire, you endanger your neighboring units. The allowance for single-family home owners poking at their own wiring DOES NOT generally applied to multi-unit buildings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here