Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
safe to plug antique appliances into modern outlets?

Posted by SunnybrookFarm (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 17:23

I inherited some antique electrical appliances that work great - the cords are fabric covered and in great shape, but they have two prongs instead of three. Is this safe or do I need some type of adapter? Many thanks if anyone can answer this question. Someone told me it was dangerous to plug old appliances into modern wiring. They were manufactured in the 20's...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: safe to plug antique appliances into modern outlets?

Someone was wrong.

Even modern appliances frequently don't have grounded (three prong) cords if there is no exposed metal, etc...

If your older cords are in good condition, no fraying, cuts, burned spots, etc... and the cord is securely connected at the plug and appliance ends, they should work fine.

If you want extra protection, make sure whatever receptacle you plug them into has GFCI protection.

o

If the wiring and appliance is indeed in good condition, it should be as safe now as it was in the 20s.

o

Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate the info.

o

In fact, it's safer to plug it in to a modern outlet than into an old one. They aren't matched sets you know.

o

Okay... but to be fair - older appliances are almost always metal and not grounded and would guess aren't UL approved in many cases. Don't expect the same product safety awareness as we have now.

Use them on a GFI and unplug them when you are done.

I have a very cool old waffle iron that I still use - but only on a GFI outlet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here