Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 16:58

I use a double window fan in my bedroom on warm nights. Last night when I went to turn it on, I noticed a hot spot on an area of the controls. It hadn’t been turned on for 16 hours or so, so it didn’t seem right to me that it would be hot. Plus I'd never noticed that before. I decided to unplug it and use the A/C instead. I contacted the manufacturer this morning, but haven’t heard back from them yet.

Meanwhile, I moved another fan (same model) into my room and plugged it in. I checked an hour later and found the same hot spot. Does this sound normal to you, or could I have a problem with my wiring?

I'm using a power strip for the fan and the small window air conditioner. Nothing else is plugged into the strip, and the two appliances are never turned on at the same time.

Thanks for your help.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

The spot on the fan was hot before you turned it on? Could the sun be shining on it? When you say "hot", do you mean warm to the touch, or so hot it will burn your finger? Could you provide the make and model of the fan? Maybe there's something in the controls like a light bulb that is always turned on, even if the fan isn't running.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Yes, the spot on the fan was hot (warm to the touch) before I turned it on. This was at midnight--no sun. No sun on the other fan I plugged in experimentally either.

Here's the fan


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Well, I see a "mode" button with some LEDs. Are they "on", even when the fan is "off"? If so, that's where the heat is being generated, from the power supply that provides that feature. It sounds like it's just a poor design that is wasting energy, particularly since both of the fans do that.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

The reason you see these button-and-LED electronic controls on heaters and fans these days is that, believe it or not, they are actually cheaper to manufacture than the positive-off hard-contact switches most of us grew up with.

If you think about it, you'll realize that any electronic circuit cheaper than a very simple mechanical device is probably not designed to be efficient, or even very long-lived.

I suggest that you throw your fan away, or better yet, give it to someone who needs a fan. Go buy an older, better-made fan at a garage sale. Look for one with a real on-off switch. If you're lucky you might even find one made in the USA, unlike the imported junk that's almost universally sold today.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Have you heard the term "vampire" before? It is basically any equipment that continues to suck power even when it is "off". Common examples are laptop charges, phone charges,etc Your fan is a vampire. It is using electricity constantly even though it is just sitting there.

Is it wasteful? Yes. Is it dangerous? No.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Thanks, guys! I think I'll make a practice of turning off the power strip during the day, since it's needed only at night. I appreciate the info.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Hi. I am not an electrician, but I do know the basics about the art. My post isn't related to the fan, but I would not run an air conditioner off a power strip unless the strip was heavy duty (and even then I'd give it a second thought). For your own safety, please at minimum make sure the power strip you're using can handle the current draw of your air conditioner. Plug the appliance into an outlet if you can.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Thanks for the tip, Sofaspud. I can eliminate the power strip and use the outlet for the fan and A/C, plugging and unplugging to switch back and forth. It's a minor nuisance.

Is a TV (8-year-old heavy 24" set) okay to plug into a power strip? If so, that would free up another outlet.

Thanks!


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

A TV in a power strip should be OK. The fan in the power strip is probably also OK. Air conditioners draw a lot of power comparatively. As a rule of thumb, if the cord providing power to your appliance is a lot thicker and bulkier than usual, it's a sign that it draws a lot of current and you should plug it directly into an outlet. If you really want to be sure, you can read the documentation on the appliance to see how many amps it draws and compare that to the max rating of your strip. HTH.


 o
RE: Does this sound like a wiring problem?

The AC unit will be more efficient in the use of electricity if plugged directly into a wall receptacle.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here