Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom wiring problems

Posted by sage78 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 16:52

I'm pretty sure this is wrong but wanted to post to verify.

Details:
House has two half baths and two full.

Breaker #9 (15 amp)
Basement hall light
basement bath light, fan and GFI rec
basement family room receptacles (6) and pot lights (6)
living room receptacles (6)
Main fl bath light, fan and GFI rec
2nd fl guest bath light, fan and GFI receptacle

The other baths may be wrong too.

Is there any situation where this may be allowed? House was built in 1973.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom wiring problems

Wrong now? or wrong in 1973?

What is your concern? Certainly wouldn't see that today with the current NEC code but existing homes are grandfathered until you do additional work which then requires bringing it up to current code.

o

I'm selling the house and I'd rather not have to redo wiring. The bathrooms are the only thing that seem to be miswired according to current code. I've updated them with new toilets and vanities but not wiring. I guess my concern is the future buyers inspection.

o

You're not required to bring it up to current code if you just replaced the vanity and toilet. It would have needed to meet the code at whatever time the work was done.

The home inspector may quibble, but that's the reality of construction. Otherwise we all would be ripping our houses apart with every code change.

o

I can not imagine the home inspector is going to map out all of the circuits in the house. He will check for GFCI protection where currently required (but maybe not when built) and verify that no wires are doubled up on breakers or connected to oversized breakers. That is about it I would guess.

o

'no wires are doubled up on breakers"

Some breakers are listed for double tapping.
Ones that are not you just use a wire nut and a pigtail over to the breaker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here