Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outlets for kitchen islands in Canada

Posted by ali80ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:10

I seem to be spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to find outlets for the island simply to meet code. I like the sillites, but they aren't approved for canada, though they have been approved by inspectors before (according to company), I like flip up ones (mockett brand), they are approved for use in Canada but not recommended for the island because they aren't waterproof. No water on our island so I don't know if that would be an issue. They are expensive though. I like the pull up mockett, but it takes up a lot of room in the cabinet area. I don't even know if I would use them enough to warrant the cost. Anything out there that I havent found that you absolutely love and use???
I know I could go just for a typical box, but I would have to make sure there is room for that.
Appreciate any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Here you go...

Carlon Pop-Up TR Receptacle.

Lets hope they still make them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardwired and GFCI!

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:24

o
RE: outlets for kitchen islands in Canada

Is that what you have saltcedar? They are prettier looking than the other popups Ive seen. If you have them, how are they holding up?

o

Their outta my league. Retiree here.

o

Why not give the task to your electrician to let him/her find the solution?

o

Saltcedar...look cool, thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I was told it did not have csa approval.

snidely, he is also looking for ideas, but we live in a small town and what he typically sees might not be all that is available. Besides, it never hurts to ask for suggestions!

o
Unfortunately I was told it did not have csa approval.

Who told you it's not approved? I've personally read that they
applied for approval and it was granted.

o

saltcedar, I wrote the following to tnb.ca

I came across your product KPR15GNKL and I am curious if it meets Canadian codes and if it is available in Canada? If it is where can it be purchased?

This was the response I received

Hi Alison,
Sadly, it does not have an CSA approvals.
Sorry.
MM

That is all I am basing it on, but I am assuming the company knows what they are talking about?? Perhaps something has changed either in the product or the code??

o

Ok, maybe code changes have made its approval obsolete.

o

Maybe...its a shame if thats the case, it was expensive but looked nice. I may ask my electrician if he knows the details about it, the print outs do say it is csa approved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here