Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

wired electric radiator question

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

I posted this in basements as well...forgive me if you saw it there....

My basement walls have 1.5"xps against the foundation then studded out with fg insulation and drywall. My front wall however ONLY has the 1.5" xps (slot type) fastened with fur strips in the slots and drywall attached to that..ie no studding. It�s a little lower r-value but this wall faces the stairway bottom where space was a little tight. Also I have 10+ feet of closet there hiding clean outs, pipes and my water meter. I saw no need to stud the area out for a closet.

There is however an 8� span of wall to the right of the closet that lies in a living area. I want to add baseboard heat to this area. You cannot put baseboard under outlets which are already in place on the walls surrounding this area. Can you put the baseboard along the wall that has the drywall over the xps. They can drop the wire through the studded side wall and come out the side into the baseboard that appears as though it will just fit this space. A stat could even be on the side wall. Is this code compliant and more important would it be safe. If not I am looking into an in wall heater if anyone cares to comment on the positive or negatives to those.

Comments (7)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

You'd have to read the instructions for the baseboard but as far as the electrical code goes, there's no reason I can see why not.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, now is it safe? I have never had an electric baseboard in my life. I have no idea how hot they get, or how hot the back part (against the drywall) gets etc etc.

I know XPS is flammable. I'd assume the heat would disspait thru the drywall...

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Are you incapable of reading. This isn't the HEATING AND A/C FORUM...that's over there.

I said as far as the ELECTRICAL CODE goes (which is all what this forum is primarily concerned with) there's nothing wrong with putting heaters there.

I suggested you READ THE DARNED INSTRUCTIONS. They will tell you what the manufacture requires for installation. Most are approved to be mounted in front of drywall, they're constructed to radiate the heat into the room not the wall. They have clearance requirements from the floor, curtains,etc.. above, and furniture in front.

It's not my fault you did a harry homeowner half-assed job on your walls.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what the heck is your problem? Sometimes posts cross multiple forums.

My post concerned not only code but safety and perhaps some insight into a wall heater. I figure the pros here have wired both up and might have some all around insight. I thought thats what the 'community' here was all about.

No one forced you to respond or read the post.

Half assed walls? The product was sold to be installed the way I did in ceratin locations...in fact I learned about here in garden web.

Thanks for the answer to code question. If you have nothing further to share on the safety issue or experience/comments with wiring radiators vs wall heaters feel free to move on. You need only hit the little arrow in the upper left hand corner of your screen..

jeeez.....

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My apologies to all either for my anger or what was perhaps a poorly placed post. I donâÂÂt like the harry homeowner comment. I have researched to death the proper way to finish my basement. I do only what I am capable of and though itâÂÂs not as quick a job or not as great a job as a pro, I try to do it well above code requirementsâ¦and try to do it right.

I DO NOT tackle electrical or plumbing. They are beyond my expertise. I leave to the professionals. However I have been burnt by several âÂÂpeter prosâ over the years with poor advice, poor equipment and shoddy workmanship. So yes, I try to research things here to try to find out what will work best for my situation. I actually have found the electricians and plumbers seem to like a someone who knows and understands what they want and what they expect. It makes the job go smoother all around.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

"I do only what I am capable of"
    and
    " in fact I learned about here in garden web"

These two comments are contradictory. If you base the work you do on internet forums and other websites, I'd suggest you're doing things beyond what you're capable of.

If you've dabbled with construction projects, you know that the actual project never turns out to be what was expected. An experienced person knows how to deal with the variations to get the right result. An inexperienced person may not even realize there was a problem, and any ultimate solution is willy-nilly anyway. I think that's what the harry homeowner half-assed comment refers to.

Just my opinion.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

....I understand...again, was just trying to get some opinions before having an electrician come out...

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years