Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best way to wire?

Posted by footwedge (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 14:56

The kitchen cabinets are being installed as I type. The installer mentioned surface mounting the receptacle box for the microwave, garbage disposal and dishwasher in lieu of my plan of recessing them. I like his plan better.
I will also be adding one in the lazy susan for the tv.

I prefer the shallow surface mount box especially for the lazy susan location but I guess I could get by with using a standard box for the other locations. Each location will require a minimum of 11.25 cu. in. ( 3 no. 12 and 1 receptacle).

What's the best way to handle this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best way to wire?

Where will the microwave be sitting?
If the receptacle is behind the microwave it will not be able to fit as far back on the counter or shelf.

Disposal and DW receptacles are normally under the sink and all you give up is a few inches up off the bottom of the cabinet on the wall.

I usually hard-wire both so there is no need for a receptacle.

o

I put the micro outlet in the cabinet above and I just wired a metal jb using the romex cable connector and a little bit of flex and laid the receptacle on the cabinet bottom. This is the uppermost cabinet that is 8' tall and 2' deep.

I decided to go ahead an recess the other 3 locations. It will just look better.

Was told the code no longer allows direct wire, must use a receptacle.

o

"Was told the code no longer allows direct wire, must use a receptacle."

What code?

Ask for a code citation.

Cords are permitted but not required under the NEC.

o

Must be a local requirement if not required by the NEC.

o

"Must be a local requirement if not required by the NEC."

Who made the claim?

You would be surprised how often 'rules' disappear when you ask the AHJ for an actual code citation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here