Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving main panel 30 feet

Posted by amyspaetzle (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 14:42

The folks in plumbing suggested I ask electrical so here goes. My house is all electric and on a slab. I'm trying to replace my aging hot water tank and have been told it's too close to my main panel. Furnace, panel and hot water tank all share a utility closet. I'm weighing the costs of:
1. Running a new gas line and installing a tankless ($4,500) on the side wall in the closet far enough away
2. Moving the electric hot water tank to a very small laundry area across the hall
3. Moving the main panel 30 feet away and well into the garage and keeping the hot water tank where it is.
4. Running a new gas line and moving the hot water tank into the very small laundry area. ($1,600)
Is option 3 the least expensive way to go?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving main panel 30 feet

Moving the main panel isn't going to be a cheap proposition. The cheapest would be installing a new (I presume you still want to replace it) tanked heater someplace that gives you the desired panel clearance. That would only be cost a few hundred for the heater and some wire and a small amount of labor.

I'd expect you're talking multiple thousands to relocate the main panel (which means extending all the branch circuits to the new location as well as moving the service and the grounds). It could add up to the most expensive.

If you have gas installed now, I might consider one of the two gas options. I've got a Rinnai tankless in one house and gas tanked in the other. Both are better options in my opinion than a electric tanked unit.

o

First, tell more about "have been told it's too close to my main panel." Who said so? Did whoever it was elaborate on why the location is now an issue and apparently wasn't when the panel and WH were first installed?

Are you doing this DIY or hiring it out?

o

Moving the main can turn into a nightmare.

Even if you gut the old panel-board enclosure and use it as a huge junction box, every circuit must be extended.

You can easily run out of room to drill enough holes in joists and studs.

o

Is the panel on an inside wall and if so what is behind it?

Maybe you can turn it around to the other side. Still a big job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here