Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smaggard420

Generator Cord 10/4 SOOW Ampacity Confusion

smaggard
12 years ago

Hi,

I am installing a manual transfer switch for a 7000 running watts generator. Many of the cords from Reliance Controls, Gentran etc state they are 30A cords made with 10/4 wire and 14L30 connectors.

I am looking at having a longer cord and want to construct a 75' cord from SOOW 10/4 90C cable and attach the 14L30 ends myself. It doesn't seem voltage drop will be siginificant based on the calculators I have found.

However, ALL of the 10/4 SOOW cable states it is rated at 25A, while 10/3 is 30A. I'm confused since all of the major generator manufacturers are selling these cables advertised as 30A cables good for 7200 watts but all of the 10/4 SOOW bulk vable I can find is 25A.

Am I making this more difficult and worrying too much? One thing I was wondering is if the 25A rating is assuming current would be flowing through all 4 wires, but with the 14L30 there will be 2 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground so current should only flow through 3 conductors, therefore is it ok to assume that a 30A load will be ok?

Any advice on this would be appreciated! Otherwise I suppose I could just buy the 40' Reliance Controls cord as the 75' Gentran cord (which is 10/4) is too much $$ whereas I can make my own 75' for about the same $$ as thr Reliance 40'.

thanks in advance!

Scott

Comments (6)