Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help installing light fixture on dimmer switch!

Posted by laze817 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 13:56

I have a new light fixture I want to install. There are 3-4black, 3-4white, and 1 red wire coming from the ceiling. The product itself has 1 black, 1 white, and 1 striped wire. How should these be connected? I put black to black, white to white, and color to color and when I turn the electricity back on the light comes on BUT won't turn off. Could this be because of the dimmer panel on the wall? The new light is not a dimmer. Also, I'm wondering about the 3-4 black and white wires coming from the ceiling, do I need all of those connected?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help installing light fixture on dimmer switch!

What do you mean "The new light is not a dimmer."?
If it cannot be dimmed, you need a different switch.

If it can be dimmed:
White fixture wire to the box whites;
Black fixture wire to the box red;
Bare fixture wire to the box grounds (bare or green).
Do not attach anything to the box blacks.

You can bet the existing wiring needs to be connected as before. If left disconnected, something, or everything, on that circuit will no longer function.

o

(OLD HOUSE) - Original wiring had a dimmer switch which controlled 2 separate ceiling lights (2 bulbs each). The switch was changed to a standard light-switch and one ceiling light was changed to a ceiling fan with lights. Now, we are attempting to change the other ceiling light to a new ceiling light with 3 bulbs. The ceiling wiring is different in that it has 1 black, and 4 off-white wires. The new fixture has 3 black & 3 white wires. We've connected the 3 new black to black & 3 new white to the white, attaching with proper connectors. What happens with the 3 extra white wires?

o

You should have started a new thread, rather than posting on an old one. The title of the thread is confusing the issue.

What happens with the 3 extra white wires?

The go exactly where they were before you took the old fixture down. You DID make a drawing or take a photo, I hope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here